Getting into nursing school is quite exciting. However, before starting your first day, you must have the right equipment. That includes a great, well-rounded laptop.
As a nursing student, you will be asked to transfer lectures, write notes, run projects, and even do research.
The following laptops listed in this guide will allow you to handle those tasks with ease.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick summary
- 2 Who should receive this?
- 3 Best Laptops for Nursing Students – nursing school laptop requirements?
- 4 Best laptops for college nursing students 2022: Our Picks
- 5 Tips on how to protect your laptop
- 6 Bottom line
After reviewing over 20 laptops on the market, we came up with three that met our standards in five categories: storage, operating system, battery life, RAM, and portability.
- If you are on a tight budget and need a laptop that can perform basic tasks, go for the Acer Chromebook 15 .
- The 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air is a good choice for users who want high performance and long battery life.
- The Acer Chromebook with 14 ″ IPS FHD display is a good choice if you are looking for a laptop in the Chrome OS category that has a fantastic display.
Who should receive this?
Once you enter nursing school, there is a whole workload waiting to welcome you. The best way to keep up with all your tasks is a reliable laptop. It will help you tackle even the toughest tests and provide you with a central location to store your files.
Every nursing student can appreciate and make use of the different models in this guide. However, this article is not for you if you are looking for high-end laptops that can handle heavy tasks like colour sorting or gaming.
Best Laptops for Nursing Students – nursing school laptop requirements?
As a nursing student, you should consider the following features before purchasing a laptop for school:
Also Read: Best MacBook for law school in 2022
It’s quite frustrating when your laptop dies in the middle of writing an article. The best way to fix that problem is to buy a machine with a powerful battery. Every computer is different, but you want one that stays offline for at least six hours.
Laptops have SSD or HDD storage. SSD, also known as a solid-state drive, is better than HDD (hard disk drive) in terms of speed and durability. However, SSD models tend to be more expensive. As such, you should go for at least 128GB, which gives you an excellent compromise between performance and price.
Your computer’s RAM allows you to multitask and gives you the option of running multiple programs. You want a laptop that has at least 4GB of RAM, but you can increase it if your budget allows.
When it comes to your operating system, you can choose from Apple (Mac OS), Google (Chrome OS), or Microsoft (Windows OS). Whichever you choose, you need to make sure it matches what your institution approves of and what you can afford.
A processor helps you handle tasks on the computer. As a nursing student, you can go for the Intel Core i3 if you are on a budget. However, if you have more leeway, you can get an Intel Core i5, which is a mid-tier processor, or the high-end i7.
Laptops come in a variety of shapes, weights, and sizes. Always get lighter options that are easy to move or transport around campus.
Best laptops for college nursing students 2022: Our Picks
1. Acer Chromebook 315 15.6″ FHD Laptop Computer (Best laptop for nursing school)
Acer Chromebook 15 is a great option for nursing students on a budget. While the machine doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles, it does have a sturdy plastic frame that holds up well. The model comes with a 15.6-inch IPS panel and has decent viewing angles. Storage-wise, it has a 32GB eMMC + 32GB SD Card, which should be good enough for any nursing student.
In addition, the model has 4GB DDR4 RAM with CPU: Intel Celeron Processor N4000@ 1.10GHz (2 Cores, 4M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz). This model is also equipped with dual-band 802.11 ac wireless technology. The speakers are great in case you need them to listen to lecture notes, and it offers five to six hours of battery life. While the model is quite heavy at 4.8 pounds, it has a good number of ports. You get 1 USB 3.0, an SD card reader, HDMI, and USB 2.0.
2. 13.3-inch Apple MacBook Air (Best Macbook for nursing school)
The 13.3-inch MacBook Air is a fantastic option for any nursing student on a big budget. It has a sleek design and comes with a 13.3-inch LED display and a resolution of 1440 × 900. However, where this stands out is in battery life and performance. Even without the latest processor, the Intel Core i5 with 8GB LPDDR3 RAM does a great job. The model runs on Mac OS X, ensuring smooth operation. You can choose from the two available storage options: 256GB or 128GB SSD. On top of that, the battery lasts for 14 hours and only weighs 3 pounds. That combination makes it easy to carry around campus.
3. Acer Chromebook with 14 ″ IPS FHD screen (Best laptop for nursing students)
The Acer 14 ”FHD is another model on this list that uses Chrome OS. In addition to the fact that the model is one of the most affordable laptops for nursing students, it comes in an attractive shiny silver colour. It looks crystal clear thanks to the 1920 × 1080 14 ”FHD widescreen IPS backlit display resolutions. The model also lets you put your school hours to good use due to its 12-hour battery life.
The portable machine weighs 3.42 pounds. It also runs extremely fast as a result of the 1.6Ghz Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM. If you don’t use a lot of software, the model’s 32GB capacity will give you great performance. There is also 1 HDMI port and 2 USB 3.0 ports that allow for easy data transfer.
Tips on how to protect your laptop
Here are nine tips to help protect your laptop while in nursing school:
- Avoid placing your laptop near appliances that produce a strong magnetic field, such as high-tech refrigerators, televisions, and prominent speakers.
- Do not touch the screen with any stylus or stylus that may scratch the screen.
- Close the lid of your device when not in use to limit the amount of dust that settles on the keyboard.
- If your laptop is outside in the cold, always bring it inside and let it warm up before turning it on.
- If you’re on the go, always turn off your laptop and remove any USB thumb drives that may be inside.
- Get a quality laptop bag to protect your computer from being pushed and dropped.
- Avoid setting simple passwords that anyone can guess.
- Avoid taking your laptop into humid areas like the kitchen counter, the beach, or the bathtub.
- If you are traveling, make sure you have a VPN account to stop potential hackers.
Hopefully, you’ll be able to make the right choice thanks to the comprehensive buyer’s guide and the products listed in this article. The most important thing is that you choose the best laptops for nursing students that meet your specific requirements and budget.